A Century of Action
Dedicated to supporting Urbana’s park systems
Urbana’s tradition of private generosity began in 1903, when Samuel and Mary Busey gave land that now forms Leal Park to the City of Urbana. Four years later, Judge J. O. Cunningham donated 15 acres to begin Crystal Lake Park. Two years after that, Margaret Carle Morris gave land for Carle Park and money to construct an elegant stone pavilion. Since these early years, dedicated Urbana residents and friends have continued to promote nature and foster their city’s health. Private generosity from individual donors, area businesses and corporations, and dedicated Foundation Trustees and Park Commissioners remains vital for Urbana Parks.
Campaign for the Next Century
A successful $2 million campaign completed in 2020
The Campaign for the Next Century fundraising campaign built upon more than a century of generosity from individuals, businesses, and civic organizations by supporting a variety of Urbana Park District (UPD) parks, programs, and activities. The campaign began in November 2015 and concluded in October 2020. During this five-year effort, the Foundation raised over $2 million in funds to help UPD strengthen the local park system and enhance the health and vibrancy of the community.
The Campaign for the Next Century successfully surpassed its goal thanks to the generosity of over 200 individuals and over 30 businesses and corporations, including more than $600,000 in support by the Carle Foundation.